Thursday, July 3, 2008

Purpose of the Port

As you can see in the pictures I've added, the port looks like a dual drum that the nurses at the oncology clinic can access for my chemo. Dr. Mikkelson made an incision right under my clavicle and made a pocket in the skin. She placed the dual port in the pocket and then had to make another incision that went deeper under the tissue to find a vein. She then threaded the cord that is attached to the port, through my vein so that the chemotherapy can go directly into my blood stream. This is also how I will have any blood drawn over the next couple of months of treatment.

I absolutely love the port. Although it looks pretty nasty, it saves my arms from getting poked and proded all the time. The best thing about it, is that it comes with a numbing cream that I can put on an hour before I get stuck, so I don't feel a thing. Ah, the marvels of modern science!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

more than i had ever hoped you or any of my close friends would know about ports and chemo...any thoughts about changing career paths? nah, screw medicine. we belong somewhere in central florida i think! we could work at the main street bakery and be in the a/c all day! see you tomorrow with some ingredients for a pineapple martini on hand. hang in there babe :)

mathefamily said...

Hey Ang

The port sounds good; especially with the toothpick veins :) You seem to be in good spirits which is wonderful. If you need someone to sit with you; or to give Morgan a break - let me know. I'm there in a heartbeat (well, 45 minutes but you know what I mean!)

Jenny Garza

Anonymous said...

PuMkin
You are the strongest PUMKIN i
know you keep fighting this thing
and we will either go to D.C. or
Disney World.


LOVE YOU PUMKIN