Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Round 1 of Chemo

Going into all of this I really didn't know what to expect. I figured that my doctor's and nurses knew what was going to happen, but even though I knew that, I was still pretty unsure.

I arrived at Dr. Domke's office on Monday morning to get "hooked up" to my pump. The pump consists of a small machine that is hooked up to an IV bag filled with chemotherapy. The pumps purpose is to continuously give me chemotherapy over the entire chemo week. One of my dual pumps is accessed by a needle with something that looks like a butterfly on the end of it. The needle is connected to a long tube that goes under my clothes and the tube goes into what looks like a large fanny pack that has a long strap on it that I can carry. When connected, I have to carry the pump everywhere. And I do mean EVERYWHERE! Have to go to the bathroom? Here I go with the pump! Shower, yeah right - can't get the pump wet, so it's sponge bath time! Sleeping? Try doing it with something that sounds like it is taking your picture every couple minutes! Things get pretty interesting!

Anywho, I got connected to the pump with no problem and left the doctor's office. The next day, I had to go to the hospital location because my Oncologist splits his time between the hospital and his own personal office. So I went to the hospital on Tuesday and had to get the extra chemotherapy. On this day, they accessed my other port with another butterfly needle thingy with another tube connected to it. Through that tube, they hooked me up to an IV and gave me anti-nauseau medicine. They also have to give me these shots to be sure that my lines are clean and to prevent any blood clots. Man do those shots taste nasty!! From what I gather, not everyone can taste the medicine when it is injected. Another way that I am just lucky I guess! When you get the shot it actually tastes like you are chewing on plastic wrap that is trying to dissolve in your mouth. Pretty gross.

The medicine I get on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday consist of the anti-nauseau medicine, and then two syringes full of this "red stuff". One of the nurses at the hospital called in the Ruby Sisters, which I thought was cute too. Not really sure what each of my chemo meds is supposed to do or what the difference between the two is, I just provide the vein for the meds to go into. Have the syringes have been emptied into my system, I then get hooked up to a bag that is dripped into the IV that contains more chemotherapy.

Each of these sessions take between 2 and 3 hours. After I'm done I am usually feeling pretty good, but within a couple of hours, I am dead tired. 3pm seems to be nap time during chemo week. On Friday, I had to go back to the hospital to get a Neulasta shot. This shot gets put into my arm and is supposed to increase the production of white blood cells in my system. I need the blood cells so I don't get a infection, etc. but the chemo doesn't know the difference between good cells and bad and tends to kill them off.

Stay tuned for the week after chemo!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is Amy and I came across your blog accidently. I wanted to tell you that you are amazing and strong. I really admire you for all you are going through. I fought my own battle with a cancer called Hodgkin's disease when I was 14. I have been in remission for 12 years now. Reading your experience made me think of my own. I too could taste the heparin used to flush my port. It tastes disgusting!! I also had to go through similar testing you did to make sure it hadn't spread. I continue to have monitoring of my heart and lungs to make sure they weren't affected by any of the chemo drugs. After finishing chemo treatments, I was always exhausted a few hours later. I could sleep for hours!!

My experience is different then yours is going to be, but I wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and cheering you on. I will definitely be following your blog. You are an inspiration to many. Thank you for sharing your story.

Amy
Sun Prairie, WI

Anonymous said...

Hi Angie. Talked to Jutta a little bit today about you - she filled me in on how you are. A lot of people out there thinking about you. :) You looked adorable last time I saw you. Still so put together! That hat was great. Hope to see you next week.
Love,
Katie

Anonymous said...

Hi Angie-Just read your latest blog-love it that you keep us so informed. You know your dad, he and I have CRS (can't remember s___) he doesn't remember alot so enjoy the blog. I can tell you still have your GREAT ATTITUDE! Since Gloria & Judi haven't been able to do the BLOG either, I have copied all your notes and giving them copies so they can read.
Hope you liked the stuffed animal Breanna sent up-she was so thrilled that your dad took it with him. Your mom tried sending your picture to us via cell phone but can't get it-thought maybe you could send to me on email and I could share with Jason, Rodney, Lori. That would be great!
Talk to you soon-tell Morgan he's the BEST!!
Love to both of you,
Aunt Barb & ELVIS

Anonymous said...

Stay strong kid! I pray for you regularly and think about you all the time.

You've always been amazing and the way you're handling this is nothing short of expected. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Angie,

John and I are thinking about you! Stay strong and continue to blog so that you can share your story with so many others that aren't able to. You have always had such a gleam about you and now I know that it is your strength and courage!

Love
Amber & John

Anonymous said...

I love you sis stay strong you are doing well. Missed you at convention

Anonymous said...

Hi Angie -

Katie is right - you look adorable in that hat! You know we are all still thinking of you. The blog is great in case we don't get to touch base with you when you are here. Hang in there.

Sue E.