Thursday, July 3, 2008

Surgery

So the nurse decided that she would let the pre-surgical nurses put my IV in. Obviously, after what she had just done, that was a good idea. Around 12:00 my transport came and after saying goodbye to my parents I was wheeled into the pre-op room. As I was waiting in the room I couldn't help but think, "Wow, didn't think I would be here this soon." For those of you who didn't know, at the beginning of May I had knee surgery to remove a torn meniscus. Sitting in the pre-op room again, was a little annoying, but I knew it was just the beginning.

The nurse came over and after a couple minutes, was able to get my IV started. HALELUEAH! A couple minutes later, my sleepy doctor came in to tell me what to expect, and the entire time I was thinking, "yeah, yeah, yeah, already heard this last month." When I told him I understood, he walked away and asked the nurses at the nursing station if they had any new magazines. That made me feel REEEALLLYYY GOOD!

A couple minutes later, Dr. Mikkelson came in to just go over the surgery. She said it wouldn't take too long, so we were going to get started. I got wheeled in, and moved on to the cold operating table and the last thing I remeber is asking the sleepy doctor if he found a new magazine. His answer thankfully...."No."

Now get this, I don't care what the doctor says or who they say it to, but I WOKE UP DURING SURGERY! I opened my eyes and saw the table over my head with the blue curtain. Seriously, maybe he was reading a magazine!!!

Next thing I know, I'm being woken up after the surgery is done in the operating room. They move me over to another table and tell me that they are going to sit me up and that I'm going to need to take a deep breath so they can get an X-ray to make sure the surgeon didn't knick my lung when putting the port in. Do you know how hard it is to take a deep breath. All I could do was cough. Not only did I just have a tube down my throat, but I just woke up out of a deep sleep. Who do you think I am??

Anywho, the Dr. got the X-ray and everything looked great. I got wheeled back to my room and no sooner did they put me in the room, than a tornado warning went into effect and I had to get wheeled back OUT of my room into the hallway with all of the other patients. That is where my parents found me. Boy was that fun! Stupid weather!

1 comment:

Cousin "Lori" said...

Hey! Just wanted to check out your page!! I read all of it. Honestly your strength and determination that you use in everything you've accomplished has always amazed me! I know that with your determination and inner strength you will be able to fight this better than anyone else I know. I only wish that you did not have to prove to the world. I wish I could somehow take this away and you would never have had to deal with any of this!

On a lighter note, I can completely relate to waking up when I was supposed to be under anesthesia! Hopefully this story will bring you at least a chuckle! When I had oral surgery while in high school, I remember quickly counting backwards from 100. Only to reach 97 (I think). Then I remember, waking up. They weren't done! I thought I was an international spy, obviously a major hallucination! I attempted to pretend to be asleep thinking that they would not get any info from me! Well, it obviously did not work. They again gave me more medication. I was out again. However, not for as long as they wished. I awoke again! I still thought I was a spy! How crazy is that? They again noticed I was awake. I thought I was being pretending good enough. Well, obviously this time they gave me enough. I did not wake up until it was all over. Actually, I think they gave me too much the last time. I guess they did not want me waking again. I guess I was messing up their plans. While my dad was checking me out, he asked if I would be allright standing up. I said sure. How hard could it possibly to stand still. Little did I know about that. I slide down the wall and had to have my dad pick me back up. The next thing I remember is getting home. No recollection of the over 30 minute drive. I was still majorally under the effects. Thank God I did not try to drive!!!! Personally, I still wonder what I would have been like if I were an international spy. Probably not very good since I could not even fake the doctors out!!!

Hopefully, my bad humor about my experience did not bore you too much! Please keep your spirits up and know that I am always thinking of you and wishing I could do something. Talk too you soon!

Lori